Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary A: Vishnu of the Pervasive Illusions

For my reading this wee I chose Ganesha Goes to Lunch by Kamla K. Kapur, and let me just say:

WOW. This is the best reading I have done for this class. Not only is it superbly written on a sentence-by-sentence basis, but the stories themselves are so rich and full of wisdom. I am really resonating with this piece. The only thing is, it's so long! I've had to extend into the grace period just to finish my Tuesday reading (I'm a slow reader so it's taken like 4 hours to finish Part A).

My favorite parts so far have been about Vishnu and illusions. The way that Vishnu incarnates Narada into a new body may well be the most beautiful piece of prose I have read in weeks. And the lessons to learn from these stories are quite sagely, especially the story about falling out of Vishnu's mouth; really palpable stuff!
Vishnu's Mouth; AKA the gateway to the known universe


 I actually wish I owned this book!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Grayson, just seeing this post made my day!!! I found this book totally by accident in a used bookstore in LA last summer. I had never heard of it before... and I agree with you: it is beautifully written, and the selection and arrangement of the stories is also wonderful. I am so glad you got a chance to enjoy it!!! I guess it is kind of a dream of mine to maybe someday write a book like this one. It is really inspiring. :-)

    ReplyDelete