Monday, February 8, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary 1: Ravana's Many Unrequited Loves

For my reading this week, I decided to read the Ama Chitra Katha graphic novels. For my first volume, I chose The Lord Of Lanka.
The Rise and Fall of a Demon King: source

I thought it would be especially poignant to read about the life of the Ramayana's main antagonist, from birth until death. My initial thinking was that it would elucidate more about his character, and perhaps help me to understand his final, almost redemptive, moments.

Ultimately, this was only somewhat true. I enjoyed seeing Ravana's rise to power, and seeing that his lustful ways were in fact a permanent character trait, however I don't feel as if I have gleamed any greater insights into who Ravana is.

I mean, he fasts and cuts off nine of his heads, and for this Brahma awards him with immunity from Gods and Rakshasas. Okay, I guess. But the whole part with Shiva did not make sense to me. I mean, why would Ravana revere, (fear?) Shiva so much in the first place? Shiva clearly can't harm him, so it seemed out of character for Ravana to become so submissive.

I did really enjoy seeing Ravana's many unrequited love affairs. I thought it was especially enlightening to see his interaction with Vedavati. She was briefly mentioned in the Ramayana, as was Sita being found in a field as a baby, but I never would have imagined that Vedavati reincarnated as Sita! That was like an Aha! moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment