Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary 2: The Power of Sages

One thing that really interested me in the Ramayana, and in Indian mythology as a whole, is the god-like power of holy men, the sages. Sometimes they even seem to be more powerful than the gods!

Continuing my theme of discovering backstories for characters of the Ramayana, I decided to read the Amar Chitra Katha volume Vishwamitra: The King Who Became An Ascetic.

Now, from the Ramayana, I already knew Vishwamitra began as a powerful king, but I did not realize just how vain and egotistic he was. I assumed he decided to become a holy man after growing weary of the good life, sort of how Siddhartha Gautama did. But I was wrong. Vishwamitra decides to became a sage solely because he wants to obtain the highest spiritual powers, just so he can prove his superiority to Vashishta, who humiliated him over a cow. That's right, a COW.

In the process of becoming a sage, Vishwamitra gives up his lustful ways, his family, and even his temper in the end. But he never gives up his thirst for power. In fact, when he finally manages to become Vashishta's equal, he rubs his face in it and then the story ends. I don't feel like Vishwamitra had any kind of real character arc, or at least one that was satisfying. He is still just as stubborn and egotistic and power-hungry as before, only now he is one of the most powerful beings in the universe.
Pretty much sums it up: The Power of the Sage

I mean, really. I am curious why sages are so completely overpowered. Even as a weakling sage, Vishwamitra manages to oppose the gods and CREATE HIS OWN HEAVEN. What does this say about Indian culture and beliefs? It is almost as if they revere the sage more than the gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment