Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Week 10 Reading Diary Part A: First Three Goblins

For my reading this week (and possibly next week too) I chose Ryder's Twenty Two Goblins. Each goblin tells a different story. I'll break down my thoughts/feelings according to goblin number.
Source

Introduction: WOW! I am loving this story from the very start. A mysterious monk who gives the King jewels hidden in fruit every day and who sends him on an eery quest to retrieve a hanging body? Yes please. There is a goblin who lives in the body? Oh yes, yes that is just so cool.

First Goblin: I identify very strongly with the prince here. I've definitely had that moment of lost connection with a girl who I didn't know how to find again. And the signals she used were so intricate! I never would have been able to untangle the plot. I also really liked the ending. The story was entertaining enough, but bringing in the question of guilt in the end, and the King's answer- just brilliant!

Second Goblin: It's a rare thing that a story can change your mind. I would have answered the goblin's question by saying the man who brought her back to life with the magic book should get to marry her. That only makes sense to me. But the King's answer totally changed my mind. When Coral died, the third monk left and wandered the country side. Only the first monk stayed true to Coral, and sacrificed everything just to be with her (even if it was only her ashes) until the end of his days. That's true love. Powerful stuff.

Third Goblin: What the Heck! The King had just given such an insightful answer to the previous goblin, and then he says this sh*t?! "Occasionally there are bad men here and there, but women are usually bad. We hear about many of them" Not cool, dude, not cool

I have an idea for how to write about all of these stories at once. I'll have to see how tomorrow's reading turns out and whether any particular goblin story grabs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment