Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary: Babbitt's Jataka Tales Part A

I thought that, as my reading this week (Babbitt's Jataka Tales) is segmented into multiple short fables, I should go ahead and write the reading diary as I go along, so I don't forget about my impressions of certain stories.

The Monkey and the Crocodile: LOVE this one. The monkey had me laughing and reveling in his cunning. "I forgot my heart back in that tree-" classic. I'm not sure how I could spin this into my own story, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.

How the Turtle Saved his Life: Man, these stories are just too good. I could definitely see myself elaborating more on this one: specifically how the child princes mistake the turtle for a demon and the different suggestions for how to kill it. I could have a lot of fun with this story.

The Turtle who Couldn't Stop Talking: Wow, such a great (and absurd) image with the turtle flying between the two geese. I would love to start off a story with something like this. It could be a fun opportunity to experiment with plot structure.
I mean, It just looks plain silly

The Ox who won the Forfeit: I like the concept here. If I were retelling it, I would probably switch the POV to the Ox's. I'm a taurus myself, so I think it would be fun to write from a bull/ox's perspective.

The Sandy Road: Not too much to say about this one. Didn't enjoy it as much.

The Quarrel of the Quails (Great Name): I appreciated this one, but it didn't really speak to me. The moral was clear, and the wise quail leader was enjoying to read, but nothing really stood out.

The Measure of Rice: I liked the direction (I thought) this was heading. That being said, the ending felt like a let down. It simply lacked the wittiness seen in the Monkey and the Crocodile.

The Foolish, Timid Rabbit: Again,The ending of this one did not jive well with me. But the beginning was great. It made me want to stop reading and start writing right then and there. The beginning of this one gave me the most inspiration of any of these stories, though I think if I wrote on this one, I'd have to change the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment