Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Top Three Storybook Favorites

Wow, so many cool ideas and so many inspired stories!

I began by scrolling through the list, glancing at the various titles. Some were puns off modern culture, and some sounded like Indian epics themselves.

Immediately, The Legend of the Bow Kodanda caught my eye. A legendary bow? Yes please. (I competed in archery tournaments as a child)

And then the first image hooked me right through the awesomeness center of my brain:
Just plain epic
The design was minimalistic, and the writing was a bit dry, but I still love the concept of writing the story from the point of view of Rama's legendary bow. That's something I'd never seen before.

But on to the next. The Ancient City of Ayodhya. The allure of an ancient city drew me in, plus the tie-in to contemporary issues brought the whole thing up a notch; very poignant. I wasn't a big fan of the colors employed in the blog-- didn't really read as an ancient city type of feel to me. But the writing was better than the last one, so that was a plus.

Finally, Character Therapy: Healing in Stories pulled me in. I thought to myself: "Are ancient Hindu gods sitting down for a therapy lesson? What kind of crazy cool healing techniques am I about to learn about?"

I was mistaken on both fronts,  in the best possible way. This was definitely my favorite storybook of the ones I visited. Four women sit down for a group therapy session, and are told the stories of ancient India Epics. Each woman uses one of these stories and applies it to her own life, her own struggles. Brilliant. This is what these epics were made to do--impart the wisdom of history.

I loved the therapist's notepad design of the blog as well. My only major gripe was that they changed all the Hindu names to American ones. It made it a little less interesting for me. Still, though, it was an awesome read. This was the only storybook that I read in its entirety.

I've got some storybook ideas of my own brewing, but for now I'm signing off.

Goodnight, world.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are getting ideas and inspiration, Grayson! I just happened to see your post go by and I wanted to tell you that the image there is from a graphic novel version of the Ramayana which we have on reserve in the Library: Ramayan 3392 AD by Deepak Chopra (you may have heard of him!) and Shamik Dasgupta, with art by Abhishek Singh. The students who read this option last year really liked it; it's one that comes up in the second half of the semester, along with some other graphic novel options! :-)

    ReplyDelete