Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ramayana: An Overview

As I have mentioned before, writing is my passion. So it comes as no surprise that I'd prefer the novel-like quality of Narayan's recounting of the Ramayana.
I've scrolled through some of the images from Indian epics, and I have to say, I'm getting a lot of creative inspiration from the mystical side of things. Indian folklore, though I don't have much prior contact with it, is really starting to capture my imagination.
My middle name is Hawk, so you could probably guess I'd be especially taken with the depiction of the garuda:
I mean, come on--this thing's awesome
I also love epics. Sadly, I've only come across the Iliad and the Odyssey in my educational career so far, but I've read Gilgamesh on my own, as well as dabbling in the Ramayana before (mainly just reading about how stinking cool Hanuman is). George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire  series are, hands-down, my favorite books of all time. I love the wonderment as well as the complex plotting, and I'm sure that Indian epics will have both of those in spades in spades.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to comment on this post earlier, Grayson: anyway, I am glad you found some good Garuda to look at... and Hanuman is totally cool. As the story travels around south Asia, Hanuman remains a very popular character, and in the Thai version, called the Ramakien, he even gets a mermaid girlfriend... a great variation on the traditional Indian story if you are interested; her name is Suvannamacha: Wikipedia: Suvannamaccha ... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete