Sunday, January 31, 2016

Topics Brainstorm

Possible Topic: Ravana's Court

I was fascinated by the plethora of demons who occupied (and worked in) Ravana's court. Having the god of wind sweep the floors, I mean it could be an awesome storybook. Each entry could be a from a different servant/former god, complaining about the current use of their godly powers and how much they hate serving Ravana. The final entry could be from Ravana's POV.

Research so far:

I have not done much research into the topic beyond what was stated in Narayan's rendition of the Ramayana. I will likely look through other translations/editions to see if there were any details Narayan left out. Looking through Ravana's Encyclopedia Entry could also prove to be useful in giving his character some depth.

Possible Topic: Hanuman

I know we really haven't gotten much into Hanuman yet at this point, but it's my understanding he comes to play a pretty major role in the Ramayana. He's always been a fascinating character for me, and I'd love to tell a storybook of his adventures as the monkey king. I think I could create a very compelling personality for him. Just thinking about getting to write it is making me a little jittery (in a good way)!

Research so far:

I've glanced through his Wikipedia Page, and I have read up on him before, but beyond that I'll just have to keep reading in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata to find out more about him before I proceed.

Possible Topic: Therapy Book

This one's a little harder to explain. I was inspired by a girl last year who did a group therapy session themed storybook. I think it would be interesting to have modern-day characters discover a dusty old book, a tome of Indian epics. When they flip it open, it reveals to them the tale they needed to hear most in their lives. For instance, a woman whose husband just lost his job might flip it open and read about how Sita left everything behind to follow Rama into exile. There would always be a takaway from the tales to help improve each character's life situation.
Dusty Old Tome: Source

Research so far:

Not really sure how to conduct research for this one, aside from keeping up with the class readings and familiarizing myself with the texts and their meanings/implications.

Possible Topic: Ramayana Jumanji

Two kids find an old board game hidden away (got this idea while typing the last one), and they start to play. The game, similar to Jumanji, comes to life, and the demon king Ravana breaks into their house and makes off with the sister. The boy, and his friend from down the street (Hanuman) must play the game, defeating Rakshasas and going through events int he Ramayana to get his sister back.

Research so far:

I'll have to finish the Ramayana first of course, using multiple translations.

No comments:

Post a Comment