Thursday, January 28, 2016

Week 2 Storytelling: Bhagiratha's Resolve

Author's Note:

Phew, I typed 997 words out of the 1000 word limit!

This story is a retelling of the parable of Bhagiratha, who, through his indefatigable effort (the meaning of his name) created the river Ganges and brought peace to the troubled souls of his ancestors. This story really stuck a chord with me from the readings this week, and I was dying to tell the story of  a man who could meditate for thirty thousand years.

I have always been drawn to subject of mediation, so I thought I might be able to impart some of my own experiences into the writing. I really tried to capture the internal realm that meditation brings us to the brink of.

I am also very proud of the pacing of this piece. I wanted to impart a sense of progress into Bhagiratha's journey, and really focus on the depths of his discipline during his path towards mastery. In the original source material, these steps were mentioned only in passing. I wanted the steps to take center stage in my story--surviving only on air or fallen leaves, these are the things that caught my eye, that gave me a sense of wonder while reading about Bhagiratha's meditations. I wanted to impart this sense of wonder in the reader. All of this, as well as my descriptions, with which I tried to paint a fantastical mental image in the reader's mind's eye, really pushed the word count. But I felt this was necessary in order to tell the story I wanted to tell.

Bhagiratha's Resolve:


The island was no more than six feet around. The ground was sandy, yet soft. A single tree sprouted from the island, alone in the middle of a vast lake. The lake spanned the summit of the mountain like a watery halo. Bhagiratha had spent decades searching for just such a spot.
           
He needed absolute seclusion to begin the meditation. If he proved too distracted or his attention wavered even a millimeter, the gods would never bring his ancestors to peace. That, above all, was his utmost goal.
          
Bhagiratha sat in the lotus position, leaning against the ancient tree, and began to recite his mantras. Over and over, he said the prayer to Shiva in his head.
  Mukam Karoti Vaachaalam
Pngum Langhayate Girim 
Yat Krupa Tamaham Vande
Paramanandam Madhavam
The words soon lost all meaning, taken over by the rhythm of their sound. Soon, even that became lost to him. His attention was honed sharper than the blade of any knife, his focus all encapsulating. He felt the words etch themselves into the back of his skull. He became the words themselves, and was lost to the world.
           
But his stomach growled, and his eyes snapped open like two oyster shells. It had been three days, he guessed by the position of the stars. Yet still, Shiva had not answered him, and now his body grew restless. Even sages get empty bellies.
             
Resolved that he should not leave his island until his ancestors were freed, Bhagiratha scooped up a handful of fallen leaves from the ground and ate them. They were bitter and did not go down easy, but he had complete control over his body, and the leaves nourished him enough that he was able to continue his prayers.
           
This time, Bhagiratha meditated with his mouth wide open, and survived by eating the leaves as they fell down into his mouth. He meditated, non-stop, for the next ten thousand years in this manner. By the time Shiva finally appeared to him, he had lost all sense of self and his beard grew down to the base of the mountain.
           
“You have been most pious, Bhagiratha,” Shiva said, his voice like liquid thunder. “I have heard your prayers. But alas, I am not powerful enough to bring your ancestors salvation . . . alone, that is. You must pray to Ganga, for only if she descends here to this lake may your ancestors be saved.”
           
Undeterred, Bhagiratha began chanting his new-found mantra, a prayer to Ganga, begging her to come to earth and save his ancestors.
Sarvapapaharam Pumsam
Balam Ayur Vivarddhanam
Pratar Madhyahna Sayahne
Gangasannidhyata Bhavet
Soon, to his amazement, Bhagiratha found that he no longer needed to eat the fallen leaves to sustain himself. His meditations had become so second-nature to him that his body no longer used any energy at all. His stomach was in just as much peace as his mind. He could survive solely by breathing the air.

He continued in this way for another ten thousand years, until a little girl appeared to him, standing delicately upon the surface of the water, giggling. Her hair was a flowing waterfall, which fed into the lake and made the waters swell, drowning his little island and covering Bhagiratha up to his neck.

“Oh, Bhagiratha,” she said. “I have heard your prayers, and I wish to help, truly. But alas, were I to come to earth, there is nothing which could withstand it. My waters are too vast, my rains too heavy. I am sorry.”

But Bhagiratha was not swayed. With stoic determination, he continued to recite the mantras, praying to any god who would listen. He attained such stillness of mind and body that his lungs were content to rest, and he no longer needed to breathe. Without such distraction, he attained still deeper levels of focus and was able to survive solely off the sunlight. The feeling of warmth upon his skin was enough to sustain him for another ten thousand years.

Shiva returned to him. The god appeared angry and resolute, his third eye staring at Bhagiratha with the intensity of a thousand suns. Undaunted by his appearance, Bhagiratha pleaded with Shiva to help him.

“I will do this thing,” Shiva pontificated. “However, you must be the one to force Ganga’s hand. You must hone your meditations further still.”

Bhagiratha had been meditating for thirty thousand years. He was so old that his form was unrecognizable, almost wholly submerged in the lake. Yet, so close to attaining his goal, he knew that he had to continue.

He took up his mantra yet again, and this time he became so enraptured by his prayers that they alone sustained him. His body withered and became as dust. His mind lost all sharpness and faded away. All that was left was his indefatigable purpose. He meditated for an immeasurable amount of time, for time held no more power over Bhagiratha.

Ganga, unable to withstand the might of his pious resolve, fell from the heavens. With her came a torrential downpour so powerful it threatened to pulverize the entire earth with its deluge, like a tsunami against a sand castle.


Bhagiratha's prayers answered: source
But Bhagiratha had no fear. He called to Shiva, and in an instant the god was before him. Shiva assumed a perfect stance, his feet planted firmly on the surface of the lake, his thousand arms clasped together in prayer.

The Pure One took the full force of the planetary tidal wave upon his head. His third eye opened, and the tsunami could not withstand the indomitable force of his gaze. The waters soaked harmlessly into Shiva’s hair and flowed into the lake with no more than a trickle.

Overflowing, the lake spilled over the edge of the mountain, flowing across all of India as the mighty river, Ganges. The holy waters snaked across the land and purified the graves of Bhagiratha’s ancestors, giving them eternal peace and salvation. 

His task finally complete, Bhagiratha relinquished his all-encompassing focus, and his soul melted into the surrounding waters, following the course of the Ganges into heaven. 

Bibliography:

13 comments:

  1. Hello Grayson!
    I thought this was a very clear and creative way to tell the story. I enjoyed the progress Bhagiratha made throughout the story and how it seemed as though we were able to connect with him and also be praying for our ancestors to come back. Overall it was a great piece. I can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this version of the story! I read this story in other people’s blogs and I had a bit of a hard time understanding it. I actually enjoyed your version. The image you used in your story was very capturing. I have actually seen this god (the one with multiple hands) in texts books and if I recall correctly in my Intro of Religion class. Overall I enjoyed this story! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this story, Grayson. I can see why you came so close to the word-count limit: you included so many details! I think that this is what made your story so excellent though. Due to your detailed descriptions, I was able to picture the tale quite vividly as it developed. From the personality of each of the characters to the environment surrounding the event, your descriptions gave the story life.

    The format of the blog is easy to read. You broke the story up into nice little chunks that isolated each related topic. This also made going back through the story to find particular sections hassle-free. I did notice that an indentation is missing from the first paragraph after the title "Bhagiratha's Resolve".

    The flow of the tale was smooth. I felt as though the transitions were smooth and each portion of the story moved seamlessly into the next. You provided adequate information such that I felt that nothing was left unanswered at the end of the tale. The introduction adequately started things off--not too abrupt or drawn out.

    I noticed two spelling errors, nothing major:
    "He was so old that his [form] was unrecognizable.."
    "..flowing across all of India as the might[y] river, Ganges"

    Overall, I enjoyed reading the story. It is interesting and well written, flows smoothly, and closes with all events resolved. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that people have actually tried to live entirely off of energy from the sun. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Check out this article:

      http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/swiss-women-dies-giving-water-food-thought-live-sunlight-article-1.1067359

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful story. You used such vivid descriptions to describe the characters' actions and appearance. My favorite part was when you introduced Ganga as a little girl with waterfall hair. This was a unique way to describe this goddess before showing her as a torrential downpour at the end. Also, the image you chose to portray that scene perfectly captured the moment. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Grayson!
    I wanted to take a look at one of your storytelling posts this week for my project feedback, and I am so glad that I did. Your narrative was so rich and descriptive; it was truly a joy to read. From the very first line, I was absolutely enthralled by your writing style and vocabulary choice. It was elegant and intelligent, without seeming overdone. Your similes and metaphors were also well done: relevant and recognizable, but not cliché. I especially liked the one about “his eyes [snapping] open like oyster shells” and the one about a “voice like liquid thunder”—such fantastic imagery!
    Your post also looks great in terms of formatting. The white words stand out nicely against the brown background, and the font itself was not distracting or obnoxious. Your layout as a whole is really pleasing; I like the vintage map look.
    Overall, I really enjoyed your post! I will definitely be coming back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grayson, wow. Just wow. I have to say this has been the first story I’ve read by other classmates where I felt entranced. The story you told was so beautiful and mythical. I especially loved the way you wrote each progression of Bhagiratha meditation and how his body slowly just accepted the fasting and other physical difficulties and became engrossed in his prayers as well. While the story was extremely long, you kept it from being boring with amazing details. I wonder what Bhagiratha did after his ancestor’s graves had been purified. Obviously he did not need to meditate any longer unless he wished too, but then again he was so old by that time maybe he quietly passed away with them? All in all, it was a beautifully told tale with great imagery. I feel like I could picture the girl on the water as her waterfall hair fed the lake. By the way, congratulations on barely making that word limit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grayson,

    First off I love the fact that you gave us the meaning behind Bhagiratha. As a writer I get alot of my names for stories from babynames.com because I want the name to mean something!

    I agree with you that the pace of this was really well placed. There was a clear goal for the main character. He had multiple obstacles placed in front of him that created dramatic conflict. There was a climax that resulted in Ganges being created and a follow up telling us how he resolved and how he was changed from a man to a spirit taken with the Ganges.

    I enjoyed that you took it down to him being dust and simply relying on the energy of his meditation. That was pretty cool and ties into my project. In fact, many of your modifiers I liked. They really helped illuminate the story. I especially loved the beard down the mountain, fascinating imagery that invoked rip van winkle to me.

    The one thing that I felt was lacking was the setup and I assume that was because of the length needs. I felt unclear on why he was praying to save his ancestors in this story. I think having that piece would help show the motivation that he had in accomplishing this river.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grayson,

    You story was easy to follow and well written. Thanks for sharing this. I loved how you showed the gradual progress Bhagiratha made throughout the story. You have described everything so well I was able to picture it in my head. The story was captivating and went smooth.

    The only thing I would say is there were parts I had to read couple of times because it was not clear. I think proofreading it a little more would help in taking out some extra information to make it a little shorter.

    Overall, a great read with very helpful information and interesting throughout. I did not loose focus or get distracted throughout. I loved how you described different progression of Bhagiratha meditation and how he was able to adjust and accept all the difficulties and succeeded. The layout of your story is very well done and I cannot wait to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Shristi!
      Could you elaborate more on which parts specifically were unclear? This piece has been through many rounds of proofreading by both myself and Professor Gibbs, so I'm surprised we missed it!

      Delete
  10. Hi Grayson,

    Overall, this was another great work. Your story was very detailed and very interesting. Your image gave your reading character. I like how you showed gradual details throughout the story. Your notes at the beginning helped me understand what was to come. I enjoyed visiting the links you also posted on your blog. Thanks for sharing. Have a great rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Grayson,
    What stood out about this story is the very topic that you chose for this portfolio entry. In all of my time reading storybooks and portfolio entries I have not come across one that details the struggles of Bhagiratha so vividly.
    I enjoyed the fact that you portrayed the virtually endless stream of time that passes by as the main character fights a battle against himself and nature itself in order to bring honor and peace to his family. In my opinion your story had a nice flow and gradually built on each trial in order to evoke an even more powerful display of Bhagiratha's resolve every few millennia.
    You said that the idea of meditation influenced your decision to write this story. It was definitely evident that you were writing about something that interested you with this story. I wonder if you will try to revisit this theme in future narratives.

    ReplyDelete