Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: A wedding, an exile, and a horse

I am loving the way that Narayan weaves the narrative structure in the beginning. We get the main quest all about Rama, sprinkled with a few epic fables on the side. So far, I think these little treasures from Viswamithra have been my favorite. The wedding and the whole political intrigue surrounding the coronation/exile of Rama was starting to bore me. The characters are way to hyperbolic and unbelievable as people for me to get into the story in that way.
I'm reading this for the sense of wonderment, the allegoric fables of demons and magic. My favorite so far has been the tale of the Ganges. I love the tale the whole concept of the Horse Sacrifice, it's so crazy and interesting, I can see a lot of potential for a story from the horse's point of view. But my favorite aspect of that story was how Bhagiratha was able to pray for thirty thousand years and live on fallen leaves and freakin' sun beams. I think at this point I want to write about that. I'm already getting some ideas... 
My mental image of Bhagirtha

Feeling inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment